Monday, June 11, 2007

Week 4: Thing 8 & 9: Keeping Up with It All...with RSS Feeds

(From my Dilbert feed)

Well it's Week 4 and while I struggle to keep all of those passwords and email addresses in check, I venture in to the world of RSS Feeds.

I'm more of a casual blogger. There are only about 3 blogs (other than my own) that read on a regular basis (by regular, I mean: when I can remember). But with all of my friends and co-workers signed up for the MD 23 Things, Bloglines can help me keep up with their progress!

One thing that keeps surprising me is how easy it is to sign up for these things. Signing up for Bloglines was a total of 2 steps (enter your info, and confirm through an email). It makes me wonder: Could we ever run out of space? Run out of internet? We ran out of ozone....it could be possible, right?

One thing that I did goof on was forgetting to click on "which" blog feed I was interested in and remembering to "click" on "subscribe" (which explains why the blogs I am interested were not at first appearing on my feeds list).

So far, the easiest way to subscribe to a feed is to just stumble upon a icon. FireFox allows you to ad the feed on to your Blogline!

How can I go about explaining this...
Having millions of news shows, magazines, newspapers, and websites out there makes me feel really crappy about not being totally informed at all times. RSS feeds will help to keep me on top of what's going on in the world, but at the same time the more info thats out there, the more ways there are to get a hold of it....the fewer acceptable excuses there are for not being bothered with any of it.

Click here to check out My BlogRoll!

1 comment:

Mystery Lover said...

Ugh.... My RSS feeds are really trashy. You know, Paris behind bars, Britney's terrible extensions, that sort of thing. I need to get some more refined feeds, but why bother?