Friday, June 1, 2007

Week 1, Thing #1: Yet Another Blog....



I te
nd to create these, forget about them, and then feel bad about having wasted yet another creative blog address (I still can't believe "Alphabet Soup" was taken)!

At least this blog is for a good ca
use: Maryland 23 things!



7.5 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners:

One thing that really stood out for me was Habit #2:

"Accept responsibility for your own learning. No one has as much invested in your learning as you. Think of your education (in all its forms) as an investment in your future . Value and take pride in your learning and accomplishments."

"No one has as much invested in your learning as you."
As the first person in my family to have graduated from college (which inspired my mother to not only go back to school for her high school diploma but to also go on to acquire an Associates Degree in Social work and a Bachelor's Degree in Sociology), I'm not sure if I totally agree with this statement.

While no one will directly benefit from the investment that I have made towards learning, I can't say that no one has as much invested. Growing up, it was pretty obvious that my family had more invested in me and my education than I did. I was my family's (both immediate and extended) poster child for staying in school; valuing extended education over an immediate paycheck. While I invested the time, they invested their respect and expectations.

The expectations were as much of a blessing as they were a burden...but an investment none the less!

No comments: